The ECDU, operating from the HQs of the Sarvodaya Shramadana Movement, is engaged in the following programmes:
- Support for educational work initiated by the District and Divisional Offices of SarvodayaÂ
- This includes a variety of activities centered around pre-schools/early childhood care centres in the villages to educate parents, children and the community.
- For example, a training course was conducted for the voluntary teachers servingÂ in the Safe LearningÂ Centres in villages in the Kilinochchi andÂ Mulativu districts maintained under the British Asia Trust (BAT). This was done under the direction of the ECDU from December 2014 to May 2015 for 18 teachers from 9 Safe Learning Centres.
Â Â Â 2. Implement donor-funded projects
- For example, Safe Learning Spaces: Community Mobilization for Protecting Children Project, funded by War Child Holland, for the purpose of enabling war-affected, vulnerable and marginalized children enjoy improved access to safe learning environments and continue their education through innovative, flexible and creative options to protectÂ themselves.The audience reached was as follows:
Year 2012/2013 – 1300 children in 25 villages
Year 2013/2014 -1 500 children in 35 villages
Year 2014/2015 -1 600 children in 35 villages.
Â Â Â Â 3. Manage the ECDU Pre-school at HQs
- The ECDU continues to manage a quality pre-school centre at the Sarvodaya HQs in Moratuwa.
Preschools have been the ‘heart’ of Sarvodaya’s operations and people’s mobilisation in Sarvodaya villages, and Sarvodaya Early Childhood Development Unit has expanded its preschool teacher training programs to update the knowledge and skills of the preschool teachers to provide a better education forÂ the children of the nation. One such training began June, 24th, 2016 at the Sarvodaya District Centre in Kalutara with the participation of more than 40 preschool teachers. Â Â Â