Support is provided in the event of disasters such as tsunamis, floods, landslides and disease outbreaks. Resources include a Disaster Resource Center and emergency equipment. Relief items such as food parcels, communal cooking, dry rations, water supply, and mobile medical camps are provided in the event of a disaster. Past programmes included an integrated disaster response to IDPs, including provision of psycho-social support. Current programmes include water rescue, fire safety and first-aid training. Innovative research includes “Promise Project” to support disaster mitigation and “Freedom Fone,” which provides disaster feedback via phone / SMS.
Sarvodaya Response to Sri Lankan floods in May 2016 included:
- ~ 2,250 cooked food parcels distributed (Headquarters)
- ~ 500 5-liter water bottles distributed (Headquarters)
- 163 Sanitary packs distributed
- 110 Dry ration packs distributed (Headquarters)
- 5 boats mobilized
- 1 medical camp conducted
- 4 loads of medical supplies; candles and match boxes distributed in Colombo and Kegalle districts
- Distribution of clothes in most needy locations
- ~ 1,000 cooked food parcels, 45 Dry ration packs, and some relief items worth of 60,000.00 LKR distributed by Colombo district teams including Sarvodaya Shramadana Societies.
- 1,848 Dry ration packs and #185 Educational kits distributed by Puttalum district team.
- ~ 2,500 cooked food parcels distributed by Kegalle district team and 1,500 fruit packs distributed by Kegalle district team
- 55 cooked food parcels, 400 water bottles and some dry rations distributed in Gampaha district team
- 490 Dry ration packs distributed (376 in Hanwella; 50 in Thunnana; and 64 in Arangala area)
- 365 Kitchen utensil packs distributed (275 in Hanwella; 25 in Thunnana; and 65 in Arangala area)
- 225 5-liter water bottles distributed in Hanwella
- 212 Sanitary packs distributed
- 2 volunteer cleaning teams mobilized (cleaning houses and 1 office)
Sanitary packs prepared and provided by Sarvodaya Women’s Movement and
kitchen utensil packs prepared and provided by Sarvodaya Development Finance Company Ltd.