A rewarding, fulfilling and self-fulling career in social transformation, inclusive development, and institutional building.
We, Sarvodaya Movement, are Sri Lanka’s largest and the oldest civil society organization operating in every district. We are guided by the philosophy of Gautam Buddha and by Gandhian principles of truth, non-violence, equality. Since its establishment six decades ago by Dr. A T Ariyaratne (President Emeritus), the movement has touched the lives of millions and contributed to their upliftment in many ways. Every day we make concerted efforts to increase the access to and equity of opportunities for social progress for all citizens.
Our work spans a broad spectrum of domains, including but not limited to empowering marginalized segments in society, protection of the vulnerable, food and nutrition security, community health resilience, youth development and leadership mentoring, early childhood development and children’s rights, peace, and ethnic harmony, building climate-resilient communities and disaster preparedness, and micro enterprises.
If you are a mid-career professional wish to leave a legacy by inducing sustained social progress of your fellow citizens, institutional building, and organizational development, keep reading, please; you may be the candidate we are looking for.
The legacy you will leave.
Your legacy will be a high-performing, socially conscious, resilient, and inclusive organization that excels in community upliftment, and makes a major contribution to the integrated development of Sri Lankan society as a whole.
As the Executive Director of the Sarvodaya Movement, your primary responsibilities would be to be foresightful and proactively address the emerging necessities to fulfill society’s aspirations: social justice, social progress, financial security, and environmental regeneration.
For this, you will provide the leadership in orienting the organizational design accordingly by shaping the policy, strategy, and plan. You will reimagine, recreate, and innovate the business model, operating systems, and processes and align people and other resources. You will also be responsible for the organization’s growth locally and internationally, and accountable for financial viability.
The competencies you will need to lead Sarvodaya.
- Empathy, compassion and care, social intelligence, and deep self-awareness
- Sensemaking, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and action bias
- Sensitivity to cultural and social nuances
- Sound understanding of the key functions and operations of an organization
- Exemplar work ethics and a deep sense of accountability and integrity, and fair play
- Nurturing organizational inclusion and diversity, and resilience
- Ability to build networks at the highest levels in the public and corporate sectors, multi-lateral development and financial agencies, humanitarian organizations, donor organizations including overseas trusts and foundations, and other civil society organizations.
- Building a facilitating eco-system of stakeholders who will support the organization’s success.
- Excellent command of English and Sinhala languages and communication skills, including public speaking and media relations. Working knowledge in the Tamil language would be helpful.
Academic credentials and evidence of proficiencies and aptitudes.
A degree from a recognized university in natural or applied sciences, medicine, engineering, earth sciences, literature, philosophy, history, human geography, economics, sociology or psychology, or a similar discipline.
An advanced degree in business administration, development studies, managerial or development economics, social and humanitarian services, and any of the above disciplines would be an advantage.
You must have ten years of experience in a senior management capacity in the corporate, public, development, or humanitarian sector in Sri Lanka or anywhere else in the global south. Experience in a workplace with cultural, gender, ethnic, religious, and cognitive diversity and multi-disciplinary teams is essential. You must have a track record that proves your excellence in the required proficiencies and skills.
We would like to hear from you.
We would like to talk with you if you satisfy all the above requirements. Please email to [email protected] a resume not longer than two pages and an 800-word covering letter on your suitability latest by 20th September 2022. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality.
Lanka Jathika Sarvodaya Shramadana Sangamaya
(Incorporated by Parliamentary Act No. 16 of 1972)
SARVODAYA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY PROVIDER